Once again in 2013, we are pleased to have Ken Farmer auctions back to HoustonFest, this year auctioning off another set of valuable handcrafted in Virginia merchandise! Up for auction are
Please click the images below to read about these fantastic pieces in greater detail!
At the Main Stage Auction on the 4th, you will have the opportunity to bid on:
A custom HoustonFest dreadnought guitar case, with an engraved nameplate saying Houstonfest 2013, for the auction.
· This case is handcrafted in USA, in Oilville, Virginia.
· This case has custom graphics, upgraded hardware, upgraded interior material, and an engraved nameplate.
· This case will offer a precision fit for dreadnought guitars built to C.F. Martin specs.
· The list price for this case is $839.95.
· This case was designed by Cedar Creek Custom Case Shoppe especially for Houstonfest, in support of Houstonfest.
· This case comes with a 24/7 Limited Lifetime Warranty, as do all Cedar Creek custom cases.
Houstonfest is proud to announce that a Hand crafted Edmonds guitar will be auctioned off at Houstonfest May 4th Felts Park Galax,Va. D-28 Red spruce top, Brazilian rosewood back and sides, 1-11/16″ nut width, Waverly tuners, herringbone trim, ivories bindings. This guitar will also come with a custom made Cedar Creek Case made specific for Edmonds guitar. Jimmy Edmonds is local luthier who is well known throughout the World not only as a maker of Fiddles,guitars,etc but as a performer.
The custom molded Cedar Creek case has the hot-stamped logo of Edmonds Guitars pressed into the headstock area. This case will offer a precision fit for the Edmonds dreadnought that is being auctioned off and will be auctioned as a package with the Edmonds guitar, as a set. Case was Made in Oilville, VA, as are all Cedar Creek custom cases. This case with the Edmonds Guitars logo is only available from Cedar Creek. Cedar Creek is proud to build these custom cases especially for Jimmy Edmonds, offering a precision fit for his beautiful guitars. This case comes with a 24/7 Limited Lifetime Warranty, as do all Cedar Creek custom cases.
“When I made a decision to donate one of my hand-forged knives for the HoustonFest 2013 Auction, I began thinking about how it should be made. I felt it should be something reflecting the self reliant heritage of our region. So I decided to do as our mountain ancestors have done since first settling here, I would use recycled materials to make a high quality tool.
Among my various pieces of scrap metal was a section of model “A” Ford car bumper that my neighbor found in one of his outbuildings. I knew it to be a high quality carbon steel that with proper forging and heat treating would mane an excellent blade. I also had brass from discarded textile machine parts that could be used to make the hilt.
For the handle I first considered some local hardwood such as walnut or curry maple. My wife suggested stacked leather washers as was common on knives in the early years of the 20th century and to a lesser degree even today. I happened to have a section of flat leather drive belt from some old industrial machine from which I could cut the leather washers. A whitetail deer antler crown used for a pommel would add a nice finishing touch.
I had a shed antler that would do nicely. With all the materials gathered it was time to “Git ‘er done!”
I fired up “Old Dragon Breath,” my forge, warmed the anvil and began forging hot metal. With God’s guidance and my sweat, a few pieces of previously used and discarded materials have become a handsome and functional tool. I am well pleased with the results. I hope the new owner of this knife will enjoy using it for years to come.”
Value of Knife: Over $500! Look for Darrell’s knife in the Main Stage Auction.
AS OF 4/24/13 ALL TICKETS SOLD ONLINE OR BY PHONE NEED TO BE PICKED UP AT WILL CALL GATE.
Keep Your Ear on the Radio! Here are some great things you’ll surely want to hear!!
- Rhonda Vincent WBRF-FM 98.1 radio interview MONDAY NIGHT - APRIL 22nd - 8:20 EASTERN Time with Sherry.
- Sierra Hull WBRF-FM 98.1 radio interview with Judith, April 17, 8:20 est
- April 29th- Wayne Henderson & Virginia Luthiers Band in WBRF studio with Sherry-Debbie Robinson will join them to talk about HoustonFest
- Friday, April 26, 8pm on Blue Ridge Backroads Live at The Rex- The Blackberries (from Floyd County Music School) also featuring Wil Jones & Asa Gravley. A percentage of the proceeds will benefit HoustonFest.
- We’re also working on an interview with The Church Sisters within next couple of weeks-haven’t confirmed date at time yet)
- Rhonda Vincent will be cooking up one of her favorite recipes with Chef Paul Live at HoustonFest 2013 on Saturday afternoon. Cooking With Paul tv show will be filming the session to be featured on Cooking With Paul Show.
Congratulations to the winner of our first HoustonFest tickets giveaway, Teresa Phipps Nale! You can keep up with winner news at this Facebook link.
We started a Pinterest Page at http://pinterest.com/houstonfest so if you are a pinner, start pinning some of our pins on our boards! We have a variety of photos and videos pinned and we are adding more. You can also find our headliners, performers and sponsors listed in our pinboards.
Check out our new home page where you will find a complete list of our fantastic bands! Get ready its only 6 weeks till the fun!!
And all our sponsors are pinned on our Pinterest board!
We need you! If you would like to Vend at this year’s HoustonFest! Please fill out the appropriate form found on our Vendor Application page!
Join us for our Chili Drive Thru, scheduled for 11/2/12, 4-8 p.m. at Galax Fire Department.